Thursday, October 24, 2013

                                                   

Me and My Son David

 Fatty-boom-a-latty

There's no way around it.  I have to do something about my weight.  It keeps going up, up and up.  It is affecting my arthritic joints and the rest of my health as well.  My blood pressure is up as is my cholesterol.  I guess over the past couple of years I have stopped moving as much, mostly because it hurts. But it is hurting me more to do nothing.

The thing is, I already eat pretty healthy, but I do enjoy my sweets. Ugh. The only way I am going to do this is a lifestyle change.  I do not do change well.  I recently gave up smoking. Not easy.  I have to make myself move, move and move. More salads, less ice cream. Ugh. 

What really got me scared is my HRA (health risk assessment) report came in the mail today. Cholesterol 201 (last year it was 160); blood pressure 130/90 (usually 120/80); and, the best number?? 42% body fat!!! Almost half!! Good gravy...er, grief!

First I need to come up with a plan.  I guess I have to join the gym. Did I say ugh??  I have to do it in the morning and with arthritis in almost every one of my joints, it takes a while for me to get moving in the morning. Everything hurts.  Therefore, I must wait for pain pills to kick in...which means I will have to get up super early. Ugh.  Which means I will have to go to bed earlier. Ugh. I get home from work around 5:30, after making supper, cleaning up, taking care of dogs, it's usually 8:00 before I even sit down.  Now I can go to bed at 9:00 so I can get up at 5:00 a.m.  Ugh. Did I say that already?  

Okay, I've done enough whining. Now for the positives:  my joints will feel better with less weight on them; less pain, happier me!  I will like my body again.  Right now I can't stand looking at myself in the mirror.  I have always had a poor body image, now it is beginning to turn into a loathing that I can barely tolerate.  According to the report I am 25 lbs over my maximum ideal weight.  I would like to lose 30 though, as this will still put me at around 145 lbs.  I know I will never be at my before children weight of 110, but I don't need to get down to that.  I will feel so much better being thinner and having good numbers come back from the doctor.  I will appreciate my body and learn to take much better care of it.  I have begun doing yoga in the mornings and that is helping me be more conscious of my movements and I am beginning to see how much I have abused my body.

I will post my progress, or lack thereof right here.  Wish me luck.  This will be one of the most challenging journeys I will ever embark on. 


No comments:

Post a Comment